Thursday, October 05, 2006

Innaugural Address

As an introduction to the world of knit-bogging I'll start with the latest meme that is sweeping the internets and list a few knitterly things about myself.

~ I don't knit in public. Okay, I did once but I really needed to finish a baby sweater before the mama popped. I only took out the knitting while on the bus and sat on the window side with my boyfriend in the aisle so I wouldn't be bothered by onlookers.

~ I'm a self-taught knitter, for the most part. My sister (who took up knitting for a whopping two months) taught me how to cast on and I took it from there, using the internet and Stitch N Bitch Nation for reference. My parents bought me Vogue Knitting about six months after I started knitting but I still rely on the internet for instruction.

~ My first project was a scarf knit from beautiful hand-painted yarn that my mother stuffed into my Christmas stocking. I had no idea what I was doing so I just kept knitting until I ran out of yarn. It was knit entirely in garter stitch because I still didn't know how to purl. I still wear that scarf.

~ My second project was the Fulled Lopi Tote from Hello Yarn. Still no purling necessary. I learned so much with this bag: increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, binding off to make handles (though I still think I'm doing that wrong), and three-neelde bind off. I have never once used the bag but recently bought some fabric with the intention of lining it someday.

~ I just started my first pair of socks. Had I known sock knitting was so addictive I never would have started. Hopefully they turn out okay. My skills at picking up stitches are rather pathetic but practice makes perfect.

~ This winter I intend to rip apart almost evey sweater I own and re-use the yarn for new garments. Last night I tore out pages from the Anthropologie catalog for inspiration.

That's all for now. Soon I'll have pictures and the like to contribute to this space. I highly encourage comments and can't wait interact more with the knit-blog community!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home